Educators value the involvement and support of parents, guardians, families and communities in schools.

Although I have not yet been in a practicum long enough to develop communicative relationships with the parents or guardians of my students, I value its importance and impact it has on student success. Throughout my childhood, my parents were very involved in my schooling, both elementary and high school. They attended each of my parent teacher nights, as well as team sport events. I can confidently say their support contributed to my drive and success towards doing well in school. Without their encouragement, I most likely would not have been as interested and motivated in my studies. Not only did I want to make my parents proud I also wanted to make myself proud. Creating opportunities to involve parents in their child’s education is critical. It is just as important to develop those relationships with parents and guardians as it is with students. My last practicum placement provided me with the opportunity to see the effects on student success when parents were not involved or supportive of their child’s education. I also witnessed the effects being in foster care has on a child’s success and how certain scenarios impacted their learning. This is when my coaching teacher introduced to trauma informed practice. Sometimes you are more than just a teacher to a child. You could potentially be their only positive parental role model. I have heard time and time again while growing up that it takes a community to raise a child. I fully believe this to be true, especially being raised in a small northern community that is isolated from many resources. As an educator, I plan to involve my students in their community and create our own sense of family and community in the classroom. Community involves culture, support, and opportunity. Even if my students are not getting support at home from a stable parental or guardian unit, they will be able to get it from me and our classroom environment. To achieve student success, we need to ensure student safety and love. I want my students to feel like they belong in my classroom.